Back Door to Machu Picchu (Inca Jungle)
Days: 1 to 3
The Back Door to Machu Picchu, also known as the Inca Jungle trip, is one of the most spectacular overland journeys in the world, and the fact that it ends up at Machu Picchu makes it even better !
The logistics to this trip are somewhat complicated, and there are several options, including taking public transport (bus / combi), private transport (your own taxi) or a combination of mountain bike, public and private transport, and trekking (see our popular tour “Inca Jungle) however the general outline is the same:
Here is a basic outline:
1. Travel from Cusco or Ollantaytambo up to the pass of Abra Malaga.
2. Travel from Abra Malaga down to St. Maria – Distance 75 kilometers, one to three hours)
3. Travel from St. Maria to St. Theresa – Private or public transport, approx. one hour
4. Travel from St. Theresa to HydroElectric station (road ends here) – Approx twenty minutes
5. Travel from HydroElectric via either train (20 minutes) or a pleasant 3 hour walk along train tracks.
For more information, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org !